Monday, August 20, 2012

Musical Monday - Oh My Dayum by The Gregory Brothers (featuring Daym Drops)


Sometimes I decide ahead of time what I'm going to pick for a Musical Monday. I should know better. I originally intended to post Marvin, I Love You as my pick this week, to be followed by reviews of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. But I'm not going to do that. Because today I feel like cheeseburgers. Actually, bacon cheeseburgers.

Five Guys is, for those who don't know, a semi-fast food restaurant that serves superlative burgers and delicious fries. They also have hot dogs and grilled cheese for anyone who cares. And they sell sodas. But don't go to Five Guys looking for chicken sandwiches, or fish filets, or milkshakes, or pretty much anything other than burgers, fries, hot dogs, and sodas. And even though Daym Drops is a little bit over the top in his hilarious food review of Five Guys,the only thing I can say is that I understand exactly how he feels. His original video was so fun to watch because of his infectious enthusiasm for the subject. His love of the burger. The cheese, The bacon. The fries. He shows that if you love the subject matter, you will produce something fun and interesting. And then someone else might take your video, auto-tune your voice, and make an even more fun song out of it.

I grew up on cheeseburgers. Or rather, I grew up with cheeseburgers being a much sought after delicacy. In Africa, where I lived continuously from the time I was in fourth grade through ninth grade, and then sporadically until I was in college, cheeseburgers were a rare commodity. I remembers trips back to the U.S. where my brother and I would ravenously consume these delectable treats at a collection of McDonalds, Brazier Burger, and Wendy's across the Midwest that we would loot, pillage, and burn in our wake. When I was in high school, when I was not visiting home in Nigeria, I was attending a private boarding school, so I ate whatever was on the menu, and cheeseburgers were few and far between. When I reached the University of Virginia this all changed, and I estimate that I consumed cheeseburgers for lunch four out of every five days for my first year. Eating them this often did not diminish my love of cheeseburgers, and I probably still have them at least once or twice a week. They are, in my estimation, an almost perfect food.

Five Guys' burgers may not be the best in the world - maybe there is some gourmet burger out there made with truffles or something that would be technically better - but they are the best burgers that most people will get hold of. And their fries are pretty much just as good as their burgers. And they give you a pile of fries with just a regular order, so much so that if I get an order I always have to split them with someone. Or two someones. Or more. My burger is a bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, grilled onion, mayo, jalapenos, green peppers, and barbecue sauce with an order of Cajun fries. And yours is?

Previous Musical Monday: Cosmos by Vangelis
Subsequent Musical Monday: When the River Meets the Sea by Jerry Nelson and Louise Gold.

The Gregory Brothers      Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment