Friday, November 22, 2013

Book Blogger Hop November 22nd - November 28th: The Thirty Years War Lasted from 1618 to 1648

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: You won a 5 minute shopping spree from your favorite book store! What will you grab?

My favorite book store is a used book store - the Reston Used Book Store in Lake Anne. Since I only have five minutes, I can't afford to be subtle or selective. If I am given just five minutes to get in, make my choices, and get out, I won't be able to double check my massive spreadsheet to see if I am looking for a particular book, or check LibraryThing to see if I already own it. I might be able to prepare before I go in, but since the selection in a used book store is unpredictable, and my spreadsheet is so large that there's no way I can remember all of it (which is why I have a spreadsheet), that is likely to be somewhat less than useful to me.

So I'm probably going to just go to the science fiction and fantasy section and start pulling books off the shelves. I'll leave the books that I know I have, but if I have any doubts about a book, I'll take it. In five minutes I could probably clear out a couple of shelves. And since it is a used book store, anything that I grab that I later figure out is a duplicate of a book I already own, I can just donate it back to them.

Go to previous Book Blogger Hop: There Are Twenty-Nine Knuts in a Sickle
Go to subsequent Book Blogger Hop: There Are Thirty-One Musical Triads

Book Blogger Hop     Home

10 comments:

  1. Wow, your answer was really thought out! I love that!

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Katelynn Clark: Thank you! I actually do a less frenetic version of this sort of thing when I go to library book sales. And the pile of duplicate books that I own keeps getting larger.

      Delete
  2. That's a good strategy. I would try to go for some specific titles that have been on my TBR for a while.
    New GFC follower.
    Here's my Blog Hop answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rosa Silva: The problem is that I have so many titles on my "to get" list that trying to remember all of them would be a fool's errand. I'd probably grab stuff that I remembered I was looking for, but there is a reason I keep a spreadsheet of the books I'm looking for.

      Delete
  3. I like gong into the bargain book stores just for random books. I never find what i really want in there. even if they are older novels. If I had five minutes there I definitely would make mad dashes to the food(cookbook) health, children and audio sections. thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sidne: I love used book stores and library book sale because you never know what you are going to find. Searching through stacks of used books is probably a little like being a bird watcher searching for that elusive rare bird. And when you find the book, you feel a sense of accomplishment.

      Delete
  4. I used to have a book spreadsheet. I need to make a new one. I hardly know what I own these days. I think I have four copies of some of my favorites. :-)


    Brenda @ Daily Mayo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Brenda Priddy: I may own more duplicates of books than many people own books. I think I have more than six hundred duplicates.

      Delete
  5. I like historical fiction.

    THANKS for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Another giveaway on my blog if you want stop by that post.

    Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elizabeth: I am a fan of historical fiction too. My favorite historical fiction author is Bernard Cornwell.

      Delete