Monday, August 31, 2015

Musical Monday - The Doomsday Machine by Five Year Mission


I'm going to line up a couple of humorous songs next, so I'm okay with going to a song here that is a little darker at this point in the set, so I'm going to put one of my favorite Five Year Mission songs about one of my favorite Star Trek episodes in this slot. The Doomsday Machine is a bleak and harsh episode that doesn't really have a happy ending, which seems kind of fitting as it seems to have been inspired by Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series of stories (which I would recommend as being quite good, albeit in many cases dark and grim). Even though Kirk ends up figuring out a way to halt the implacable doomsday machine, the price Starfleet pays for the victory is quite high.

But Five Year Mission was able to transform this bleak episode into a really great song, so it has that going for it. And then they made a great video to go along with it. But really, this is a great song and the band doesn't seem to play it live often enough any more. In my version of reality, they do, and so it gets stuck right in the heart of the imaginary set.

Previous Musical Monday: Miri by Five Year Mission
Subsequent Musical Monday: I, Mudd by Five Year Mission

Dream Five Year Mission Set

Musical Monday Playlists     Five Year Mission     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment