Monday, December 14, 2015

Musical Monday - Grandma Cooked the Dog by Paul & Storm


For the record, neither of my grandmothers ever cooked a dog. Or a cat. That I know of.

I have come to the conclusion that just about every family has some recipe that they have at the holidays that isn't really anything special to anyone else, but they simply can't live without. The redhead's sister has a recipe for sausage balls that her family absolutely has to have for holiday celebrations. I've had them, and they are okay, but since I came into the family as an adult, they don't really excite me all that much.

When my grandmother was alive, she used to make homemade noodles with turkey and gravy. After she died, my aunt took over making this holiday food. After she died, the recipe kind of got lost. A few weeks ago my uncle called me to ask if I knew how to make the noodles. For him, the holiday apparently just isn't complete without some noodles in turkey gravy. For my mother, the holidays are synonymous with her mother's recipe for Swedish sugar cookies. And so on. Food traditions are sometimes weird, and always idiosyncratic.

So while I'm not going to guarantee that there is a family for whom the holiday food traditions include a cocker spaniel stuffed with yams and served with chestnut stuffing, I wouldn't rule it out either.

Previous Musical Monday: Chanukah Honey by Rachel Bloom
Subsequent Musical Monday: Things to Believe In by Sarah Donner

Christmas Songs     Musical Monday Playlists

Paul & Storm     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment